Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

High-speed chase ends at Eagle One

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

High-speed chase ends at Eagle One

Posted in:

Eatonton Police Chief Kent Lawrence looks through the vehicle following a high speed chase that came to a close at the Eagle One truck stop. LYNN HOBBS/Staff

A high-speed chase ended in Eatonton Thursday afternoon when law enforcement from multiple agencies captured the culprit in the wooded area beside the Eagle One truck stop.

Marquis Demario King, 22, of Valerie Bluff, Lithonia, was taken into custody around 3:40 p.m. His charges were unknown at press time.

According to Eatonton Police Chief Kent Lawrence, Putnam County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Russell Blenk and Morgan County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Keith Howard, a call went out over law enforcement radio around 3:30 p.m. Sept. 6, that the Georgia State Patrol was in a car chase with a stolen vehicle in Morgan County.

GSP Trooper First Class 3 Ron Calvert was chasing a gray Hyundai sedan, traveling south on U.S.

441. Howard said he was in the vicinity and saw the Hyundai and GSP patrol car passing Seven Islands Road “at a high rate of speed,” and he joined the pursuit, which was headed toward Putnam County.

Meanwhile, PCSO Deputy Chris Donovan and Sgt. Jim Barbee also heard the radio call and went to help. According to their report, the Hyundai was traveling 120 mph. Donovan stopped on U.S. 441 where it merges into two lanes, parked his patrol car on the side of the road and set up Stinger Stop Sticks in the area near Reids Road as Barbee arrived. When they saw the Hyundai traveling toward them, they stretched the spike strips across the southbound lane. The Hyundai ran over the strips and both tires on the driver’s side were deflated.

The driver, later identified as King, continued traveling south with Calvert closely behind him, followed by Howard, Barbee and Donovan. Eatonton Police Officers Gregory Gay, Johnny Campbell and Chief Lawrence were waiting up ahead. King turned the Hyundai with its flat tires onto Sara Lee Boulevard beside the Eagle One, where he was blocked by EPD. He jumped out of the car and ran into the wooded area beside the truck stop, but the various law enforcement officers created a perimeter around the wooded area. Officers Gay and Campbell chased behind him as he ran into the woods. King tried to run out of the woods several times, but when he saw law enforcement waiting for him, he ran back into the wooded area, where Gay captured and handcuffed him and turned him over to Trooper Calvert.

The license plate on the gray Hyundai was registered as a red Honda Accord and was suspended, according to PCSO reports. A check of the Vehicle Identification Number revealed the Hyundai was reported stolen from Baldwin County.